What did you want to be when you grew up? A fireman? A nurse? An astronaut? Teacher, perhaps? What about president? Would you want to be the President of the United States?
Just because you home educate, doesn’t mean that your child’s future is limited. In fact, the opposite is true. Students who were home school tend to be well-adjusted adults. Did you know that all of these famous people were home educated?
Political figures that were taught at home:
- Patrick Henry – 1st governor of Virginia, proponent of 1776 secession from Great Britain
- Alexander Hamilton – 1st Secretary of the Treasury of the United States
- George Washington – 1st President of the United States
- John Adams – 2nd President of the United States and his wife Abigail Adams
- Thomas Jefferson – 3rd President of the United States
- James Madison – 4th President of the United States
- John Quincy Adams – 6th President of the United States
- Andrew Jackson – 7th President of the United States
- William Henry Harrison – 9th President of the United States
- John Tyler – 10th President of the United States
- James Garfield – 20th President of the United States
- Grover Cleveland – 22nd and 24th President of the United States
- Theodore Roosevelt – 26th President of the United States,
- Woodrow Wilson – 28th President of the United States, home schooled by his father
- Franklin D. Roosevelt – 32nd President of the United States, home schooled by parents and private tutors
Each of these famous home schoolers were successful in the areas of art, literature, or music:
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Composer
- Laura Ingalls Wilder – Author of the Little House series of children’s novels.
- Robert Frost – American poet, best known for “The Road Not Taken.”
- J. R. R. Tolkien – English writer best known for “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, poet, philologist, and university professor. Tolkien was schooled at home by his mother until she died when he was 12.
- Louisa May Alcott – American novelist best known for “Little Women.”
- Taylor Swift – Singer, homeschooled during her junior and senior years.
Pretty cool folks! Determination, critical thinking skills and a heart for service make each of these home schoolers famous in their own field:
- Susan B. Anthony – American civil rights leader and feminist
- Florence Nightingale – Founder of modern nursing
- Alexander Graham Bell – Inventor
- Thomas Edison – Inventor
- Tim Tebow – American football player
- Bethany Hamilton – Professional surfer
- Joey Logano – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racer, youngest driver ever to win a NASCAR race.
The next time you doubt your decision to home school, remind yourself of all the home schooled people who have done great things! Stay the course, dream big, expect success and work hard.
Do you appreciate the opportunity to embrace your freedom and do great things? Please consider Keeping Texas Families Free by supporting the work of THSC through donations, memberships, and family-fun events like Capitol Days and the 2017 Conventions.