Job Description: Managing Editor
Passionate about home schooling and have experience with print and digital media? THSC is seeking a well-organized, fastidious wordsmith to dot i’s, cross t’s and generally ensure that all its publications are of the highest quality and represent our brand well.
Summary of Role: Manage a team of volunteer editors; edit and brand THSC publications and correspondence.
Expectations: 18 hours weekly, flexible hours, work from home with your own computer
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Write, substantively edit, brand with THSC message and proofread, or coordinate the same by THSC volunteer editors, of the following:
- Website content, Review magazine content and electronic publications
- Regular and email correspondence, including advocacy letters and donor appeals
- Event promotional materials and programs
- Book-length publications
- Occasional reports, press releases, special projects and any other publications (for public or member viewing) of THSC not otherwise mentioned.
- Assist with additional copywriting, proofing and updating as needed
- Recruit, onboard and manage volunteer editors
- Report in regular editing meetings and other written and oral reporting as required
- Organize and archive team files in Google Drive and generate new files and folders as scheduled or required.
- Assist in planning and tracking content for Review magazine and THSC Content Calendar.
- Implement necessary systems; document team processes and update as needed
- Seek publication and distribution of THSC original content with outside publications and social media
- Assist in developing Editorial Calendar, updating Media Kit, and updating writing and volunteer opportunities
- Submit invoices to accounting for department expenses
- Attend semi-annual All Staff Advance two-day meetings in Denton, Texas, and participate in other professional development as directed.
- Must reside in Texas
- Have excellent command of the English language in writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Be organized, deadline-oriented, be able to juggle multiple projects
- Be able to work independently and work well under pressure
- Have supervisory and people skills
- Have strong computer skills, and the ability to quickly self-teach new programs and apps
- Have marketing skills and intuition, as well as good journalistic instincts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism, communications, marketing, media or related fields required
- Experience and demonstrated ability in professional media production (beyond blogging or self-publishing) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated successes in marketing, blogging or social media strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Associated Press style helpful
- Personal home schooling experience preferred
- Work from home
- Work for a Christian organization
- Work alongside an incredibly enthusiastic team of individuals passionate about their work
- Serve Texas home schooling families and ensure that parents maintain the right to raise their kids for generations to come
Other Details: This is a part-time, paid position; 18 hours weekly at $11 an hour, no benefits, required travel expenses are reimbursed. To apply, please submit a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com. Application required, and advancing candidates must take an editing test.