THSC seeks to add to the Special Events Team with an experienced, take-charge professional who has the ability to manage administration and logistics in support of the events director in a busy special events environment. Responsibilities include recruiting volunteers and assisting with coordinating approximately 10 events per year (including two conventions) ranging in size from 20 to 6000+ attendees.
THSC is growing! The Events Department has a need for a 40 hour per week position that can be split into two 20-hour per week positions with the right candidate(s). Travel and overtime is associated with events. The position will be conducted remotely. Applicant must be available during regular office hours, must have administrative and event-planning experience, must have a computer with internet access, video capabilities, and cell phone.
*Marketing experience and experience with exhibitors and exhibit hall management is a plus.
Planning and Production
- Negotiate for space contracts and book event space, arrange food and beverage, order supplies and audiovisual equipment, make travel arrangements, order event signs, and ensure appropriate décor (florals, linens, color schemes, etc.) to meet the quality expectations of the director.
- Aggressively gather information on each project to achieve quality event productions on a limited budget.
- Recruit, administrate, and manage volunteer teams.
- Serve as liaison with volunteers, vendors, and attendees on event-related matters.
- Promote events.
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
- Prepare nametags, materials, notebooks, packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc.
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean-up for events as necessary.
- Close out all events as required.
- Perform office work directly related to the general business operations of THSC through the event planning.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment on significant matters. Evaluate and compare possible courses of action and make a decision or recommendation after considering the various possibilities.
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event project.
- Keep track of event finances, including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Coordinate appointments and visits to see venues and scheduling of events on the calendar.
- Prepare and modify event contracts as requested.
- Experience coordinating special events.
- Experience with office administrative management.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff and volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proofreading skills, and speaking.
- Detail-oriented, organized, innovative, and self-motivated.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- A team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
- Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
- Fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and mail merges; also email and web searches and social media outlets.
- Occasional overtime
- Occasional travel
- Work from home.
- Work for a Christian organization.
- Work alongside an incredibly enthusiastic team of other individuals who are passionate about their work.
- Serve the home school community and ensure that home schooling will be strong in Texas for generations to come.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Event Planner Application.”
Current on November 4, 2015
Passionate about home schooling and have experience with print and digital media? THSC is seeking a take charge, visionary leader for our Publications Department who will implement industry publications practices bringing the THSC REVIEW magazine and all other published resources to the next level.
Summary of Role: Manage and further all aspects of THSC Publications Department
Expectations: Full-time position, during regular business hours, may be performed from home
Intrigued? Below are further details about this position along with information for submitting an application.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- The Publications Manager is responsible to oversee, manage, and improve all aspects of producing all THSC publications including: Texas Home School Review quarterly magazine, Weekly E-Newsletters, Handbook for Texas Home Schoolers, Lone Star Study, Media Guide, Blog, and Website
- Manage the publications team including leading and facilitating weekly team meetings
- Establish and implement proofing and publication processes and budgets, ensuring all protocols, approvals, and deadlines are met
- Write, edit, and proofread content for all publications (print/digital)
- Manage layout and design for all publications
- Create and implement a production schedule and paginations
- Assist with additional website copywriting, proofing, and updating as needed
- Provide an executive report weekly to the Executive Leadership Team and to the THSC board quarterly in committee meetings
- Manage the process and communication with outside vendors in relation to the production of publications
- Recruit, select, and manage volunteer and freelance writers, graphic designers, and publication team volunteers
- Monitor distribution and feedback for all publications
- Input and change content in database throughout the production process
- Confirm applicable publications are posted to social media sites
Publications Manager Qualifications:
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Be organized, deadline-oriented, be able to juggle multiple projects
- Be able to work independently and work well under pressure
- Have excellent supervisory and people skills
- Have strong computer skills
- Be able to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to THSC publications, hiring and training team members and volunteers, developing and following department budget, and managing special projects and tasks as assigned by the THSC president.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism, communications, media, or related fields preferred
- Experience in magazine development and print media production management
- Work from home.
- Work for a Christian organization.
- Work alongside an incredibly enthusiastic team of individuals passionate about their work
- Serve the Texas families and ensure that parents maintain the right to raise their kids for generations to come
Other Details: This is a full-time, paid position which may be performed from home with a starting salary range of $26,000-$30,000, commensurate with background and experience. To apply, please submit a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com.