Are you a skilled writer with a heart for home schooling? Below are details on how you can participate.
Writers’ Guidelines for articles in the Texas Home School Coalition REVIEW
The following are guidelines and upcoming themes for articles to be submitted for possible publication in the THSC REVIEW magazine.
Specific Items of Interest
THSC REVIEW is published quarterly in February, May, August, and November. We appreciate authors who are familiar with our magazine and its general content and style. We are interested in curriculum reviews as well as how-to articles that explore different approaches for various learning styles—in particular subject areas such as math, writing, spelling, history, good citizenship, etc. We welcome submissions that seek to encourage and inspire home school families.
Potential themes for 2015 and beyond and deadlines for article submissions
Themes are subject to change over time. Changes will be announced in advance.
Not all articles must fit the theme; we will welcome any submissions that the Lord has placed on your heart.
February 2016: Teaching Young Children – Getting off on the right foot.
Deadline: November 1, 2015
Preschool and Kindergarten
- getting ready for school
- learning as a lifestyle / loving learning
- choosing the right curriculum
- identifying your child’s learning style
- engaging young children on their level
- activities and tools for engaged learning
- understanding your child’s needs
- writing / math / science / geography / penmanship, etc. for young children
- choosing the right (or changing) curriculum
- making friendships
- setting goals
- discouragement in topics
- extra curricular activities
- How to fight boredom and discouragement
- Starting back up after holidays
- Spring Cleaning your Classroom
- Encouragement for parents of young children
- Ideas for games and activities for young learners
- Keeping older kids on-track while starting a young learner
- Articles should be of general interest to Texas home schoolers.
- The ideal length of an article is, for 1 page is 650 – 750, 1000 – 1250 for 2 pages.
- Send articles by email (attached documents are best). Please do not send PDFs.
- Include author’s picture and brief bio. (Ideal photo size is 300 dpi, minimum size of 600 KB)
- Articles that are printed in the REVIEW go through an extensive editing process; the author needs to be willing to allow that process. THSC pays for articles that are used in the magazine. (See Payments for Articles below.)
- Articles should not promote any curriculum/company unless it is for a specific curriculum review.
- THSC will retain unrestricted rights to reproduce and publish the article in any format and in any media, including, but not limited to, any issue of the REVIEW with no additional compensation to the author.
- If an article is not used immediately, with the author’s permission it will be archived for possible use later. Author is welcome to withdraw article from consideration./li>
- “Texas Home School Family” articles are by personal invitation of the family.
- Articles that are merely advertisements for curricula or resources will not be accepted.
THSC Payments for Articles
- $100 for articles that have not been previously published and for which the author is willing to sell all ownership rights (including the copyright) in and to this article to THSC
- $50.00 for articles for which the author retains all ownership rights (including the copyright). These articles may or may not have been or will be printed in other publications.
Send any submissions or questions to email@example.com.