Are you a skilled writer with a heart for home schooling? Below are details on how you can participate.
Writers’ Guidelines for articles in the Texas Home School Coalition Review
THSC Review is a quarterly magazine for home schooling families. Please refer to our online archives to become familiar with the general format and tone of Review.
We accept submissions for feature articles and sidebars. Please query email@example.com with a single paragraph describing your idea. Queries are generally answered within one month.
We are currently accepting queries only for the following:
Querying Deadline Jan. 10, 2017
- Ages and Stages: Academic or social/emotional issues for 9th through 12th grade learners.
- Rules and Regs: home schooling process issues such as working with co-ops, concurrent learning, and other options on the spectrum of home schooling. Alternately, a feature on a specific issue such as starting time, rules, homework, summer learning.
- Specific topic regarding History/Social Studies/Civics (ex: Film-based study of the Civil Rights Movement, War-torn Texas: Famous battlefields of the Lone Star State)
- Effective Methods for Learning Foreign Languages. Main article with a 4 Stages sidebar with tips for all four learning stages (early and middle elementary, junior high and high school).
Querying Deadline April 3, 2017
- Strength in Numbers: How Support Groups Positively Impact the Homeschooling experience
- Outside these walls: sports, extra-curricular and out-of-home learning experiences
- Ages and Stages: Academic or social/emotional issues for junior high learners
- Pride of Texas: Profile of home schooling family, student or graduate
- Language arts topic: Main article with a 4 Stages sidebar with tips for all four learning stages (early and middle elementary, junior high and high school).
- Articles should be of general interest to Texas home schoolers.
- Feature article word count is 1000 to 1500 words. Sidebars range from 125 to 450 words. Total feature word counts range from 1200 to 2200 words.
- Although we endeavor to retain the author’s tone and original intent, all articles are edited for length, style, clarity, and to improve quality, and edits may be substantial. Prepare yourself by reading “What to do when you’re hit with heavy editing”.
- Articles must not be promotional, but it is acceptable to mention businesses and products in the author’s brief bio, and include a URL.
- Submitting a photo with your article? Download our Photo Release Form.
THSC Payments for Articles
- THSC pays $40 for nonexclusive print and electronic rights to feature articles that have been published previously, or works to which the author wishes to retain the copyright. (Authors should confirm that agreements with previous publishers will not conflict with THSC’s nonexclusive rights.)
- THSC pays $110 for the exclusive print and electronic copyright to previously unpublished works.
Send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.