Are you a skilled writer with a heart for home schooling? Below are details on how you can participate.
Writers’ Guidelines for articles in the Texas Home School Coalition REVIEW
The following are guidelines and upcoming themes for articles to be submitted for possible publication in the THSC REVIEW magazine.
Specific Items of Interest
THSC REVIEW is published quarterly in February, May, August, and November. We appreciate authors who are familiar with our magazine and its general content and style. We are interested in curriculum reviews as well as how-to articles that explore different approaches for various learning styles—in particular subject areas such as math, writing, spelling, history, good citizenship, etc. We welcome submissions that seek to encourage and inspire home school families.
Potential themes for 2015 and beyond and deadlines for article submissions
Themes are subject to change over time. Changes will be announced in advance.
Not all articles must fit the theme; we will welcome any submissions that the Lord has placed on your heart.
February 2015: Teaching the Difficult Subjects of Science and Math
Deadline: November 1, 2014
- Early education preparation for the coming upper levels – avoiding later panic at new concepts
- Making science and math enjoyable and understandable
- Teacher enthusiastic participation
- Science and math projects to do at home
May 2015: Traveling Texas
Deadline: February 1, 2015
- Planning and journaling trip
- Photographing along the way
- Letter-writing to family and friends
August 2015: Teaching Language Arts
Deadline: May 1, 2015
- Teaching reading
- Teaching writing
- English grammar
- Foreign languages
- Articles should be of general interest to Texas home schoolers.
- The ideal length of an article is either 750 or 1400 words.
- Send articles by email (attached documents are best). Please do not send PDFs.
- Include author’s picture and brief bio. (Ideal photo size is 300 dpi, minimum size of 600 KB)
- Articles that are printed in the REVIEW go through an extensive editing process; the author needs to be willing to allow that process. THSC pays for articles that are used in the magazine. (See Payments for Articles below.)
- Articles should not promote any curriculum/company unless it is for a specific curriculum review.
- THSC will retain unrestricted rights to reproduce and publish the article in any format and in any media, including, but not limited to, any issue of the REVIEW with no additional compensation to the author.
- If an article is not used immediately, with the author’s permission it will be archived for possible use later. Author is welcome to withdraw article from consideration./li>
- “Texas Home School Family” articles are by personal invitation of the family.
- Articles that are merely advertisements for curricula or resources will not be accepted.
THSC Payments for Articles
- $100 for articles that have not been previously published and for which the author is willing to sell all ownership rights (including the copyright) in and to this article to THSC
- $50.00 for articles for which the author retains all ownership rights (including the copyright). These articles may or may not have been or will be printed in other publications.
Send any submissions or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.