Withdraw from Public School

You are not legally required to register with your local school district or receive their permission to home school, but you need to withdraw your child(ren) from public school should they already be enrolled. Failure to do so could result in school officials filing truancy charges against you and/or your child(ren).

Process of Withdrawal:

  1. Write a withdrawal letter to the principal of the school, explaining that you will be teaching your child(ren) at home.
  2. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested, to receive and retain proof of delivery.

If the school subsequently contacts you and says that you must do more (e.g., come to the school office, fill out a form, etc.), do not go to the school. Instead, respond with a letter of assurance.

The Texas Education Agency has told school districts that such letters meet the guidelines of cooperation in compliance with compulsory attendance laws. Read the commissioner’s letter.