Are people with traditional values now the minority?
Many people of faith I speak to express appalled and sometimes fearful emotions at what they see our country adopting as public policy positions contrary to traditional biblical and Judeo-Christian historical values.
The logical questions that follow these conversations are:
- Have the majority in our country turned away from the positions that have been the positions of Western Civilization for thousands of years?
- Why do policy makers like the Houston City Council take policy positions that seem to be opposed by large numbers of the constituents they represent?
The truth of the matter is that many elected officials, like the members of the Houston City Council, don’t worry about public opinion polls or what the majority of the public thinks about a certain issue. When asked by an evangelical Christian why he was supporting such a radical homosexual position, a Houston City Councilman reportedly said that it was because people who opposed the ordinance did not vote in city council elections and the majority that did vote in his district supported the measure.
Therein lies the crux of the issue. Public policy is driven not by public opinion polls but by those people who actually participate in the campaigns in which officials are elected. Studies indicate that less than half of Christians who attend church at least once a week in Texas are not registered to vote.
This means that a majority who hold biblical positions on many of the issues that are now rejected by more and more court rulings in this country are choosing to not take part in the process of setting those policies, because they are not participating in choosing officials who make those policies. Simply put, those with traditional biblical and Judeo-Christian historical values are not voting.
What can we do?
To address this critical issue, THSC and I are participating in a series of meetings throughout Texas called the “Faith, Family and Freedom Tour.” I hope you will come to one of these gatherings in your area and listen to men and women of faith who are challenging Christians to become engaged in the battle for our culture and to protect our freedom. Below is a listing. We will update this post when we know the venues for each event. Download a copy of the flyer and share it with your friends.
- Houston – August 13 (Hilton Post Oak)
- Fort Worth – August 20 (Historic Hilton on Main Street)
- San Antonio – September 3 – 7:00 PM (Republican Party of Bexar County, 909 NE Loop 410, Suite 514, San Antonio 78209) Download the flier.
- Tyler – September 10 – 7:00 PM (Lakeview Church of the Nazarene, 10818 Spur 248, Tyler, TX 75707) Download the flier.
- Dallas – September 15 – 7 PM (Hilton Park Cities, 5954 Luther Lane, Dallas 75225) Download the flier.
- Corpus Christi – September 22 – Cancelled
- Temple – October 1 – 7:00 PM (Grace Community Primitive Baptist Church (Behind the Frank Mayborn Convention Center), 3111 North 3rd Street • Temple, TX 76501) Download the flier.
I leave you with Winston Churchill’s impactful words in his “The Sinews of Peace” speech of 1946, declaring the Iron Curtain as a stifling blanket on freedom. What do these words mean to you? What will you do in response?
But we must never cease to proclaim in fearless tones the great principles of freedom and the rights of man which are the joint inheritance of the English-speaking world and which through Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Habeas Corpus, trial by jury, and the English common law find their most famous expression in the American Declaration of Independence.
All this means that the people of any country have the right, and should have the power by constitutional action, by free unfettered elections, with secret ballot, to choose or change the character or form of government under which they dwell; that freedom of speech and thought should reign; that courts of justice, independent of the executive, unbiased by any party, should administer laws which have received the broad assent of large majorities or are consecrated by time and custom. Here are the title deeds of freedom which should lie in every cottage home. Here is the message of the British and American peoples to mankind. Let us preach what we practise–let us practise what we preach.
Or read the whole speech.