- Home Schooling Special Needs Blog – Keep informed every month with a new blog post addressing current special needs home schooling issues. Simply sign up for email notifications.
- “How Do I Start?” for Special Needs Families – For parents in the initial stages of home schooling a special needs child, our website highlights the tools and consulting services THSC offers.
- Special Needs Curriculum Information – A newly revised list of “special needs parent-approved” home schooling resources is available as a PDF format on our website. However, while this resource list is updated on a quarterly basis, the most up-to-date special needs home schooling news and resources can be found by following THSC Special Needs on Twitter and our various THSC Special Needs Home Schooling Pinterest boards.
- Special Needs Support Groups – THSC also sponsors a virtual support group on Facebook, which is now supported by THSC volunteers. This closed group offers support, encouragement, a place to connect to special needs home schooling families in your area of Texas, as well as virtual gatherings and chat times.
- Special Needs Consulting Services – THSC’s Special Needs department provides one-on-one consulting services to special needs parents who need advice on how to advocate for their children, choose a curriculum, or develop an IEP to document their child’s goals and need for accommodations or modifications to curriculum.
- Helpful Hints – Recently added is a new, easy-to-access list of frequently asked questions under Special Needs on the THSC website, answering the most common special needs home schooling questions.
- Special Needs Glossary – Special needs parents quickly find they have a whole new language to learn! With special needs educational lingo being such a critical part of advocating for your special needs child, THSC also recently added an entire webpage dedicated to defining special needs terminology.
Need a glossary for teaching Special Needs? #SpecialNeeds #HomeSchooling Click To Tweet
- Special Care at THSC Conventions – Special Buddies, the THSC special needs convention program, offers unique help to parents attending the THSC convention. Plus, this year we have an exciting addition to this Convention program. Buddy Helpers allows children that struggle with less severe disabilities than those kids who attend our Special Buddies program to join our Kids Convention program with the help of specially-trained buddies who are assigned to them for the length of the Convention. If you have a child you would like to register for Kids Convention with a specially-designated Buddy Helper, please sign your child up for Convention and then send us an email at email@example.com so we can pair your child up with a helper.
As you can see it has been an exciting and innovative year in the THSC Special Needs department, but we are far from done in exploring ways we can improve support to special needs home schooling families in Texas. On the horizon we already have in the works a new member benefit that will allow parents to create their own home school IEP (for more information on how an IEP can help your special needs home schooled child, check out this recent article on Home Schooling Your Special Needs Student with an IEP), and even more avenues for special needs home schooling families to get plugged into support and cutting-edge resources are in the works for release in the 2016-2017 school year.
It is an exciting time in relation to special needs home schooling as we are seeing the trend of parents choosing to home school their children with learning differences increase at phenomenal rates. It is our prayer at THSC that our diligence to meet the ever-increasing needs of special needs home schooling families in Texas will bless and equip families to fulfill their very special callings and prepare a way for parents to fulfill their calling fully equipped for the journey ahead.
Finally, if you have any ideas to share with us on how you would like THSC to further help in your special needs home schooling endeavors, or how you would like to partner with THSC to help special needs home schooling families in Texas, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Together we can do even greater things as God connects us and allows us to help one another in the special needs home schooling journey.
Did you know that THSC is able to provide these services because of THSC members? Are you a member? If so, thank you for your support! If not, will you consider joining today?