When we first begin our home school journey, many of us have never heard about year-round home schooling. For many, just getting through a traditional school year calendar was challenging enough. Anyways, who would want to school all year?
After the first few years of home schooling, when it becomes a part of what we do, we tend to venture out, find new curriculum, engage in new extracurricular activities, and work our schedules to best fit our family needs.
A Traditional v. Year-Round home school schedule is one way to custom fit education into your lifestyle. Year-round home schooling will not work for every family, just as the traditional school year will not work for others. But . . . it opens up options that you may have never considered.
Don’t you just love home schooling?! We have the freedom to choose what is best for our children and our families. We are truly blessed, especially in Texas, to not have to conform to everyone else’s methods and ideas of educating our children.
Benefits of Traditional School Year and a Year-Round School Year
Traditional School Year
- Scheduled & detailed
- Coincides with public school siblings & friends
- Long summer break
- More time to prepare during the summer
- More distinct grade levels/changes
- Most curriculum follows a traditional year
- What you are used to
- Teacher gets real break from school
- Summer camps
- Time for summer jobs
- Better for kids who need a consistent schedule
Year-Round School Year
- Less stress
- More time
- No summer gap in learning
- No bored summers
- Vacations during non-peak times
- Allows for real life interruptions
- Easier scheduling for working moms
- Move ahead faster
- Less falling behind or catching up