Are you a skilled writer with a heart for home schooling? Below are details on how you can participate.
Guest Blogger Articles
THSC is seeking guest bloggers to contribute relevant, engaging and unique information and encouragement to its weekly blog about home schooling. Guest blogging for THSC is a great way to create inbound links to your blog and build your audience.
We welcome original content from your real life home school experiences. Ideally, each post should make our readers want to click “Share” or stop what they are doing, print out the article and use that information to better their home school experience.
How to submit your article:
Pitch us an idea on one of these categories:
- New to Home Schooling: Styles, curriculum, schedules, teaching multiple children, teaching only one child, book reviews
- Extracurricular Activities: Field trips, sports, music, art, museums, educational family vacations, DIY educational projects
- New to Texas: Places to visit, how to find a support group, your support group, keeping contact with family
- Special Needs: Activities, curriculum, styles, extracurricular, support groups, events, grade specific challenges & solutions, coping & tools, ADD/ADHD, autism, Downs Syndrome, dyslexia
- Dads & Home Schooling: Activities, teaching, support, what can they do
- The Elementary, Middle, and High School Years: Curriculum, co-ops, dual-credit, activities, healthy socialization
- Encouragement: Working with other families and groups, you can do it, failing & succeeding, organization, book reviews
- Academics: Math, science, reading, writing, grammar, history, foreign language, your review on an academic product
Email your blog post idea to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief bio and links to any website where you currently blog. We’ll respond to your query within two weeks.
Texas Home School Coalition Review Articles
THSC Review is a quarterly magazine for home schooling families. Please refer to our online archives to become familiar with the general format and tone of Review.
We accept submissions for feature articles and sidebars. Please query email@example.com with a single paragraph describing your idea. Queries are generally answered within one month.
We are currently accepting queries only for the following:
Querying Deadline June 30, 2017
- STEM or STEAM topic feature article with sidebars
- Ages and Stages – Early elementary: Best ideas for teaching the young ones math and writing. Looking for two separate articles, approximately 500 words each. Please note, because of the lower word count, we are offering a prorated compensation for these: $60 each for original articles.
Querying Deadline Sept. 29, 2017
- Pride of Texas: Profile of a unique, interesting, exceptional current or former home schooling family or graduate.
- Daddy in the Mix: Dad’s role in home schooling. Note: please review the Aug 2016 and Nov 2016 issues to see what we recently covered on this topic.
- Articles should be of general interest to Texas home schoolers.
- Feature article word count is 800 to 1200 words. Sidebars range from 125 to 300 words. Total feature word counts range from 1100 to 1800 words.
- Although we endeavor to retain the author’s tone and original intent, all articles are edited for length, style, clarity, and to improve quality, and edits may be substantial. Prepare yourself by reading “What to do when you’re hit with heavy editing”.
- Articles must not be promotional, but it is acceptable to mention businesses and products in the author’s brief bio, and include a URL.
- Submitting a photo with your article? Download our Photo Release Form.
THSC Payments for Articles
- THSC pays $40 for nonexclusive print and electronic rights to feature articles that have been published previously, or works to which the author wishes to retain the copyright. (Authors should confirm that agreements with previous publishers will not conflict with THSC’s nonexclusive rights.)
- THSC pays $150 for the exclusive print and electronic copyright to previously unpublished works.
Send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.