The THSC Watchmen are a team of homeschool graduates who work and reside in Austin during each Texas legislative session. They serve alongside THSC as legislative watchdogs as the only organization that works full-time in Austin during each session to protect the rights of the homeschooling community. The team spends countless hours advancing parental rights and homeschool freedoms for Texas families.
The THSC Watchmen program is a rigorous training platform that launches individuals into positions of influence around the state and country. Of the ten THSC Watchmen from 2013 and 2015:
- Three Watchmen now work with conservative, pro-family legislators, political candidates or think tanks.
- Three Watchmen are in law school or preparing for law school.
- Three Watchmen are now on the THSC staff in the Policy department.
Every day during the five-month session, the THSC Watchmen canvas legislative offices, negotiate language changes in bills, solicit support for good legislation that promotes homeschooling and parental rights, and opposes legislation that would negatively impact homeschoolers and parents.
In 2017, our legislative priorities included:
- Opposing bad legislation that would have compromise the rights of Texas families.
- The Parent-Child Protection Act to protect innocent families from CPS intrusion.
- The Family Unity Act to restore parental rights and close loopholes hurting Texas families.
- The Tim Tebow Bill to allow homeschool students to participate in UIL activities with public school peers.
In 2013, the THSC Watchmen discovered and stopped a bill that would have given CPS a significant advantage over families in Texas court by allowing CPS to take children based on convictions under foreign law.
In 2015, the THSC Watchmen rallied with other advocates to correct a grievous error in a 2,000-page bill that would have removed basic protections for families prosecuted by CPS.
Your generous support of THSC Watchmen during the 2017 session enabled us to:
- Identify and track 270 bills affecting parental rights
- Stop or help prevent 21 bills that specifically threatened parental rights
- Successfully amend and fix 14 bills that threatened parental rights
- Pass 9 CPS reforms that will protect parents and children from government overreach
For a full list of 2017 successes, visit our 2017 Legislative Victories page.
Our success during recent Texas legislative sessions has earned us a reputation at the Capitol as an effective lobby team with a well-coordinated, gracious and principled approach—even on controversial issues.
The 2017 Texas Legislature Special Session
Following the regular 2017 Texas Legislative session, Governor Abbott called a special legislative session to address a wide range of topics. While we do not plan to file any bills of our own during the special session, THSC will be working with families from across Texas to represent the homeschool community in Austin and ensure that parental rights are protected.
How You Can Help the THSC Watchmen
To achieve our mission at the Capitol, the THSC Watchmen Program requires funding from generous supporters like you.
Our goal is to raise $16,000 by the end of August to cover the costs of the THSC Watchmen program from the regular legislative session and to fund THSC’s efforts during the special session.
Here is how your gift will directly impact our work in Austin:
- Your gift of $250 will buy social and digital media outreach for one week.
- Your gift of $500 will provide one month delivery of our e-newsletter and other important information to Texas families.
- Your gift of $750 will supply one month of room and board for a THSC Watchmen member.
- Your gift of $1,500 will pay for one full month of lobby expenses for a THSC Watchmen member.
Will you donate today to help the THSC Watchmen fight for your rights in Austin? This is a vital part of THSC’s core mission Keeping Texas Families Free!